Monday, December 28, 2009

Avatar...Don't Bother. A Review.

I'm as big a fan of Weta Workshop as the next Lord Of The Rings geek but I'm still, from last night, trying to wash the stink off from this movie. The LotR trilogy is, far and away, my favorite films to date.

All the things you've read about the special effects have been true. That the line between what's real and what's CGI is approaching impossible to tell. The environment, lush and flourishing, is inhabited by creatures and plants envisioned by people with more imaginative minds than I could ever have. Weta Workshops has officially put ILM to shame. I would even posit that ILM did it to themselves with the horrible effects in the latest Star Wars movies.

But, in the parlance of our times, you can put lipstick on a pig...

The bad guys, Americans of course, want to drill for stuff from beneath the land upon which a tribe of peaceful aliens live. So what do they do? They go to war.

The allegory and metaphor behind this kicking in yet?

At one point in the movie, the head American warmonger calls the people terrorists. However, the movie makers didn't even bother telling us why they were supposed to be terrorists. And as the movie progressed we heard terms like "shock and awe" and "daisy cutters"...just in case the audience hadn't gotten the message yet.

I had honestly thought the whole "We went to war for oil" thing was passe. I didn't think there were any moonbats left that still believed that. I guess I was wrong. But, that serves me right, there are still people in Hollywood that think George Bush personally orchestrated the 9/11 attacks.

Oh, and the kicker? The stuff the big, bad invading Americans want to drill for? "Unobtainium". HA HA! Get it!! Unobtainable? HA HA HA BIG LAUGH.....not.

Here, maybe this will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to contribute. Blogs don't exist without an active community.